Monday, November 10, 2014

Actual Vent Session that morphed into General Critique and Examination of Generation Y

I always call these rough drafts, but honestly, unless I get some really insightful feedback, this is what it'll be, ha. It does not yet have a title, though, so I'm open to suggestions on that front.

~~~
I feel like I'm on a middle ground
That no one else can just quite reach.
Stuck in Limbo, my own personal Hell.
Too serious to be silly; too silly to be serious.
I don't quite fit in anywhere.

The others named me "Generation Y"...
...if only they'd known how fitting that was.
"Y" is my favorite word.
"Y do I have to go to college?"
"Y do I need a 'real job'?"
"Y can't I travel the world?"
"Y can't I get a date?"
"Y do I feel so alone?"

I'm constantly connected.
I've grown up in a world when I can contact
Anyone, at any time, anywhere.
I surround myself with people,
Measuring my own self-worth by their standards.
If I don't quite fit, I just adjust.
I can learn how with the stroke of a key
And the click of a button.

And then it clicks:
I don't know who I am.
These interactions are hollow,
Just people trying to be whoever they must
To gain the most approval.

So I decide to rebel.
I'll be myself, approval be damned!
But wait, I still don't know:
Who am I?

I ask the internet through articles and quizzes,
Examining personality types
And finding out which character I am from my favorite show/book/etc.
(it's easier than making my own evaluation).

I think these are valid methods for
Determining my personality because
I've grown up in a world of
Sound bytes and video clips.
Small, bite-sized information is all you need
To understand something, right?

Armed with my newfound
Knowledge of self,
I enter the "real world" with gusto.
But it's not all I'd hoped.
Things are big and complicated.
I have to be myself instead of
Who I've made the internet think
I am.

But I persevere.
The games I played growing up taught me that.
I keep pushing, trying different groups
In hopes of finding one to call my own.
None quite fit.

I'm older now, stuck between
Child, with culture references and a free spirit; and
Adult, with big ideas and a sense of responsibility.

For all my planning,
My plans have fallen through.

Or, perhaps, have I?

No comments:

Post a Comment